Purchasing lift tickets has become somewhat of a moving target due to fluctuating pricing and the variety of lift ticket options. Many resorts have moved to a system that prices tickets in a manner similar to airline and hotel pricing – the higher demand, the higher the ticket price and vice versa. The best deals on ticket prices are when you purchase in advance. The following are some guidelines that will help you to navigate the different options so that you can select the tickets that will best meet your needs and budget.
Where do you want to ski/snowboard? A few things to keep in mind when you review the lift ticket options:
- If you are a snowboarder, you will not be able to board at Alta so Snowbird is your resort.
- If you are a skier, you will need to decide if you want a pass for Snowbird or Alta exclusively, or the premium Snowbird/Alta pass that allows you to ski back and forth between the resorts.
- If you are a skier or snowboarder, a great lift ticket option to think about is the Super Pass lift ticket, that allows you to choose ONE mountain PER DAY, not to be confused with BOTH mountains each day. See additional info below.
- Most lift tickets can be upgraded to the combined Snowbird/Alta pass. This means if, for example, you purchase a 5 day Super Pass, you can pay to upgrade your pass only on the days you choose to ski over to Snowbird (making it a Dual Mountain pass).
- If you are a beginner skier, you may not need access to the entire mountain and less expensive lift options may be available. These “beginner area passes” must be purchased through the ski areas.
Lift Ticket Purchase Options
Buying online from Alta.com or Snowbird.com
The ski areas want to insure your business so, if you commit to them well in advance of your stay, you will get the best deals. So, if you have a change in plans, are injured while on vacation or need a refund for any reason, you will be dealing directly with the ski areas. In addition, you will need to know which day(s) you would like to ski as ticket prices are date specific.
Ski City Super Pass
This is a great pass option with a fixed price and lots of flexibility! The Super Pass is an easy-to-use card that can be loaded with 3-7 days of skiing valid at Alta OR Snowbird. The beauty of this pass is there are no blackout dates, you do not need to decide in advance which resort you want to ski, and you do not need to commit to specified days. Once activated, you have 14 days to use your pass. The Super Pass is valid for skiing at only one resort per day but can be upgraded to the combined Alta/Snowbird ticket by paying an upgrade at a ticket booth at the top of the mountain where you cross over. An added perk is that you get up to a 15% discount at the Deep Powder House Ski Shop at Alta. Most important of all, you can purchase this pass directly from our office. Click on the link for more details. https://www.altachalets.com/discounted-lift-tickets/
Buying from the ski area ticket office when you arrive:
Of course, you still have the option of purchasing your tickets at the ski area ticket office when you arrive. This tends to be the most expensive option, but can also be the most convenient if you do not know what you want in advance.